Offshore & Renewables
Defence & Securit
Chemicals & Pharma
Digital & Fintech
Department: Department for International Trade (DIT)
Employment Basis: Time with flexible working
Salary: circa £38,000, depending on experience
We are currently looking to recruit new colleagues to join our team of International Trade Advisers for 4 key sectors: Offshore Wind & Renewables; Digital & Fintech; Defence & Security and Chemicals & Pharmaceuticals. The Sector Specialist International Trade Adviser (ITA) roles are cross-regional specialists, with and in-depth knowledge of their relevant sector, ideally in an international setting.
Primarily, the roles will work with and support key exporting businesses across the North East in their sector, plus a portfolio of additional companies from different sectors within a given postcode geography. Additionally, these roles will support and provide expert advice for key (regional/national) sector activities and provide enhanced capacity to regularly engage with relevant DIT teams in the UK and overseas network, where there are complementary trade campaigns, alongside working with other regional/national partners and stakeholders.
North East England Chamber of Commerce is the organisation appointed by Department for International Trade (DIT) to deliver DIT ‘s International Trade Services to North East Businesses. These services include the provision of a broad range of advice, market intelligence and financial support to companies new to exporting or those developing new export markets.
Key Responsibilities of the Role
· Design, develop and implement a regional Sector Export Trade Strategy, based on the key competencies of the sector, aimed at increasing SMEs appetite to export and the value of exports for the sector.
· Keeping abreast of developments within that sector, becoming recognised as the sector expert for export advice within the region.
· Develop relationships and coordinate activity within that sector across both domestic and international internal (DIT) stakeholders.
· Keep abreast of the support available to SMEs from sector-related organisations and membership networks both in the region and nationally and communicate this to business through appropriate channels.
· Identifying export opportunities for that sector promoting them to business
· Help business maximise export opportunities through the provision of one-to-one advice and one to many events to help business develop international strategies.
· Manage a portfolio of companies, to achieve the targets, as agreed in the annual business plan.
What you’ll be doing
The primary focus of the Sector Specialist ITA role is to research the sector, identifying the companies within the supply chain, assessing their propensity to export and the activities needed to improve this. The Sector Specialist ITA will provide added resource to companies within the sector, to increase their international competitiveness and provide the day-to-day support they need to help them export for the first time or enter new overseas markets. This role will also undertake a thorough and detailed review of the relevant sector in the North East, with a key focus on the actions needed to achieve further grow its international success.
What we’ve got to offer
Promoting a healthy work life balance is important to us at the Chamber! We believe that providing an excellent working environment and the tools to perform will enable our colleagues to feel energised to achieve their goals and be the best they can be.
· Attractive salary of £38,000
· A motivating, encouraging place to work
· Learning and development opportunities to enable progression
· Flexible working
· Working environment in which we promote a positive culture; we enable change, encourage challenge and demonstrate commitment
· 25 days holiday plus 8 additional bank holidays per year (FTE)
· Pension scheme, combined 8%
· Health cash plan provided by Westfield Health
· Dress for your day policy
What we need to see
Our team is passionate about North East business and works hard to achieve desired outcomes. Skills and international experience are important, but we are also looking for the right character who has the willingness to learn and achieve. It is vitally important that we find the right people who fit into our beliefs and culture here at the Chamber. Some of the other things we are looking for include:
• Proven international trade experience, within the given sector
• Business awareness – company/trade finance and structure; mechanics of exporting
• Previous first-hand experience of working in the relevant sector
• Ability to achieve challenging performance targets and deadlines
• Excellent presentation and communication skills
• Self-starter and drive to encourage, motivate and involve an ever-widening group of businesses
• You will be able to work independently using your initiative
• Strong organisational and management skills
How to apply
If you feel you have the necessary skills, experience and personality to undertake this role, please forward your CV and cover letter to Martin Potts, People and Performance Manager @ firstname.lastname@example.org