There has rarely been a more critical time for the voice of North East businesses and the wider region to be heard. While the political agenda has been dominated by Brexit, progress on closing the economic performance gap between UK regions has stalled.
Over the past twelve months, the views of business have often been denigrated by senior figures from all aspects of the political spectrum. This is unacceptable. Policy makers need the knowledge, expertise and experience of those in business in order to understand the consequences of their decisions.
This engagement must take place at a national, regional and local level. Across North East England, in every local area, through new and existing structures, we must ensure that business and politicians work hand in hand to stimulate economic growth.
As a region, if we are to be heard we must be bold, ambitious and coherent about what the North East stands for and where its greatest opportunities lie. We must be confident in challenging stereotypes and relentless in shouting about the benefits of investing in our region.
To build a more Influential North East in 2019, we need:
- Politicians across the North East to engage with, and speak in support of, regional employers
- A bolder and more ambitious strategy for the Northern Powerhouse with the North East at its heart
- The incoming North of Tyne Mayor to work with business to grow the local economy
- Devolved funds and programmes in Tees Valley to be fully aligned with the needs of the wider business community
- A clear proposition and cohesive approach to attract investment into the North East
Download your copy of our Stronger North East 2019 campaign here.